The BacMam Ion Channel Reagents allow you to quickly develop and run assays in the most appropriate and relevant cellular models. The BacMam ion channel reagents offers the following key advantages:
- Efficient: study ion channel function in your cellular model by efficient and non-cytopathic transient expression by BacMam technology
- Flexible: co-transduce more than one BacMam ion channel reagent for controlled expression of multi-subunit channels or multiple targets at optimal stoichiometries
- Convenient: Screen BacMam transduced cells directly after an overnight incubation, or store frozen, assay-ready, cells for later use.
- Relevant: express targets in pharmacologically relevant cellular models, including primary cells and stem cells
- Safe: non-replicating in mammalian cells and generally no observable cytopathic effect on cells
To facilitate the study of ion channels in a variety of mammalian cells, we have synthesized and packaged the full-length human clone of several potassium and sodium channels into our BacMam baculovirus gene delivery and expression system. BacMam technology allows highly efficient transient expression of ion channels in numerous mammalian cell types, including primary and stem cells (U2-OS recommended for screening). Transduced cells can be used after an overnight incubation or stored frozen as fully “assay ready". BacMam transduction allows controlled delivery of several targets and is ideal for multi-component ion channel research and screening. Cells are fully compatible automated patch clamp instruments and functional assays, such as the FluxOR™ universal potassium flux assay.
The use of BacMam Ion Channel Reagents is an efficient alternative to the time-consuming and costly process of creating stable cell lines. By using a transient expression system, clonal drift or changing target expression levels is eliminated. BacMam reagents also enable screening in more biologically relevant cellular models, e.g. primary cells. For multi-component systems that require stoichiometric expression, the transient expression and ability to control expression by simply varying the dose enables screening of targets that have proven intractable using stable cell lines. BacMam reagents are easily adapted to normal work flow protocols by using liquid automated handling systems.