A complete, ready-to-use reagent for the isolation of total RNA or the simultaneous isolation of RNA, DNA, and protein from a variety of biological samples.
• Simple—A single reagent for isolation of DNA-free RNA, RNA-free DNA, and protein
• Productive—Obtain higher yields than with traditional guanidine thiocyanate or cesium chloride methods
• Versatile—Works with many sample sources, including human, plant, yeast, bacterial, and viral samples
• Flexible—Easily scalable depending on starting material and desired yield
• Now incorporated into our RiboPure™ and MagMAX™-96 for Microarrays RNA Isolation Kits
TRI Reagent® starting material can be either fresh or frozen tissue, or cell samples of almost any size—the protocol is easily scalable. This RNA isolation method is well-recognized and referenced in numerous publications, a testament to its reliability.
TRI Reagent® combines phenol and guanidine thiocyanate in a monophase solution to facilitate the immediate inhibition of RNase activity. Biological samples are homogenized or lysed in TRI Reagent®; the subsequent addition of bromochloropropane or chloroform results in the separation of the homogenate into aqueous and organic phases. RNA partitions to the aqueous phase, DNA to the interphase, and proteins to the organic phase. The RNA can then be precipitated from the aqueous phase with the addition of isopropanol. The entire protocol can be completed in approximately 1 hour.
The isolated RNA is suitable for any downstream application, including RT-PCR, amplification for array analysis, hybridization assays, or in vitro translation. PCR, Southern blotting, and cloning can be performed using DNA isolated with TRI Reagent®. Isolated proteins can be used in SDS-PAGE and Western blots.