ABfinity™ antibody characteristics include:
• Validation in Western blot and indirect ELISA
• Superior lot-to-lot consistency
• Extremely high specificity and sensitivity
• Recombinant rabbit monoclonal antibody
• Specific for MUC 18
Melanoma cell adhesion molecule (Mel-CAM), previously known as MUC18 (2) is similar to intercellular adhesion molecule-1 and neural cell adhesion molecule, and is highly expressed on metastatic melanoma cells, detectable on primary melanomas, but not on normal melanocytes (1). The MUC18 antigen is an integral membrane glycoprotein of 113 kDa whose expression on primary humanmelanomas correlates with poor prognosis and the development of metastatic disease. MUC18 is capable of performing the typical functions of CAMs – adhesion (cell-cell and cell-extracellular matrix interactions), response to extra-cellular stimuli, intracellular interactions with cytoskeleton, and cross-talk with signaling pathways (3).
Exceptional Consistency Saves You Time and Money
ABfinity™ antibodies are produced by transfection of mammalian cells with heavy and light chain antibody cDNAs. This provides you with the highest consistency between lots, eliminating the need to revalidate your assays for each lot.
High Specificity Means More Reliable Data
The proprietary recombinant technology employed in the production of ABfinity™ antibodies means you are assured of the greatest degree of reliability. Staining of nonspecific proteins is virtually eliminated while very high sensitivity is achieved. Life Technologies has validated this antibody in Western blotting.
High Sensitivity Lets You Detect Low Levels of Target Protein
ABfinity™ antibodies demonstrate much higher sensitivity than ordinary antibodies. Proteins expressed in low levels can be detected with high specificity allowing you to use less of your precious samples than with ordinary antibodies.
Recombinant Rabbit IgG – Use Like Any Other IgG Antibody
As with traditional IgG antibodies, gel electrophoresis of ABfinity™ antibodies produces a 150 kDa band under non-reducing conditions and 50 kDa and 25 kDa bands under reducing conditions.
For Research Use Only. Not intended for any animal or human therapeutic or diagnostic use.
Learn more about the superior performance of ABfinity™ recombinant monoclonal antibodies.
See Life Technologies' full line of ABfinity™ recombinant monoclonal antibodies.
- le-Ming Shih, David E. Elder, Mei-Yu Hsu, and Meenhard Herlyn. Regulation of Mel-CAM/MUC18 Expression on Melanocytes of Different Stages of Tumor Progression by Normal Keratinocytes. American Journal of Pathologv, Vol. 145, No. 4, October 1994
- JURGEN M. LEHMANN, GERT RIETHMULLER, AND JUDITH P. JOHNSON. MUC18, a marker of tumor progression in human melanoma, shows sequence similarity to the neural cell adhesion molecules of the immunoglobulin superfamily. Proc. Nati. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 86, pp. 9891-9895, December 1989 Cell Biology
- Guo-fang Zeng, Shao-xi Cai, and Guang-Jer Wu. Up-regulation of METCAM/MUC18 promotes motility, invasion, and tumorigenesis of human breast cancer cells BMC Cancer. 2011; 11: 113 PMCID: PMC3079690