ABfinity™ antibody characteristics include:
- Validation in Western blot and indirect ELISA
- Superior lot-to-lot consistency
- Extremely high specificity and sensitivity
- Recombinant rabbit monoclonal antibody
Epidermal Growth Factor Receptor (EGFR), the receptor for the epidermal growth factor (EGF) family of proteins, is a175 kDa transmembrane glycoprotein belonging to the tyrosine kinase superfamily (Ref 1,2). Binding of EGFR to its ligands causes autophosphorylation of tyrosine kinase followed by activation of signal transduction in pathways connected to cell proliferation and differentiation (Ref 4). Tyrosine 1068, which lies within the cytoplasmic domain of the receptor, is an important autophosphorylation site that allows binding of Grb2 and activation of the Ras-Raf-ERK1/ERK2 signaling pathway (Ref 5). Deregulation of EGFR expression has been connected to carcinogenesis and metastasis (Ref 1,2), and EGFR has been a major focus for targeted cancer therapy (Ref 1-3).
Exceptional Consistency Saves You Time and Money
ABfinity™ antibodies are produced by transfection of mammalian cells with heavy and light chain antibody cDNAs. This provides you with the highest consistency between lots, eliminating the need to revalidate your assays for each lot.
High Specificity Means More Reliable Data
The proprietary recombinant technology employed in the production of ABfinity™ antibodies means you are assured of the greatest degree of reliability. Staining of nonspecific proteins is virtually eliminated while very high sensitivity is achieved. Invitrogen has validated this antibody in Western blotting.
High Sensitivity Lets You Detect Low Levels of Target Protein
ABfinity™ antibodies demonstrate much higher sensitivity than ordinary antibodies. Proteins expressed in low levels can be detected with high specificity allowing you to use less of your precious samples than with ordinary antibodies.
Recombinant Rabbit IgG—Use Like Any Other IgG Antibody
As with traditional IgG antibodies, gel electrophoresis of ABfinity™ antibodies produces a 150 kDa band under non-reducing conditions and 50 kDa and 25 kDa bands under reducing conditions.
For Research Use Only. Not intended for any animal or human therapeutic or diagnostic use.
Learn more about the superior performance of ABfinity™ recombinant monoclonal antibodies
See Life Technologies' full line of ABfinity™ recombinant monoclonal antibodies
- Yarden Y. The EGFR family and its ligands in human cancer. Signalling mechanisms and therapeutic opportunities. Eur J Cancer. 2001 Sep;37 Suppl 4:S3-8. Review. PubMed PMID: 11597398
- Wells A. EGF receptor. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 1999 Jun;31(6):637-43. Review. PubMed PMID: 10404636
- Saito T, Okada S, Ohshima K, Yamada E, Sato M, Uehara Y, Shimizu H, Pessin JE, Mori M. Differential activation of epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor downstream signaling pathways by betacellulin and EGF. Endocrinology. 2004 Sep;145(9):4232-43. PubMed PMID: 15192046
- Engström W. Differential effects of epidermal growth factor (EGF) on cell locomotion and cell proliferation in a cloned human embryonal carcinoma derived cell line in vitro. J Cell Sci. 1986 Dec;86:47-55. PubMed PMID: 3498731
- Yamazaki T, Zaal K, Hailey D, Presley J, Lippincott-Schwartz J, Samelson LE. Role of Grb2 in EGF-stimulated EGFR internalization. J Cell Sci. 2002 May 1;115(Pt 9):1791-802. PubMed PMID: 11956311